Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Vegan Vanilla Gelato

Yay! For the first time ever I got to use my new ice-cream maker. Plus, I used it to make a treat that was vegan. I love killing two birds with one stone (although I would never harm a bird in real life). : )
I got the recipe from everydaydish.tv, a vegan cooking show/website that has a large selection of vegan recipes and videos to go with them. To see the recipe and watch the video on how to make Vegan Vanilla Gelato, click here. I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out really well. Although it may seem like it calls for a lot of vanilla, the flavours really turn out great in the final product after the gelato has hardened in the freezer. 
Even after you think you've broken down all the pieces of cashew, trust me, you haven't. Let your blender run for an extra minute like I should have done.
Heat the second mixture and stir it with a whisk until it becomes thick. Then add in the first mixture, pop the whole thing into a bowl and leave it in the fridge for 2 hours.
Put the mixture into the machine. I've always been told that you have to have the machine running before you put anything into it. I decided not to, and regretted it greatly.
While the mixture may look solid when it comes out of the ice-cream machine, it really isn't and will start to melt after half a minute of being at room temperature. The best thing to do is let it harden in the freezer.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment