Thursday, December 15, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Treats, Day 2: Double Chocolate Banana Loaf

Hmm, Day 1 = Double Chocolate Chip Cookies, Day 2 = Double Chocolate Banana Loaf... I see a pattern here. No need to worry though chocolate haters, tomorrow's recipe contains no chocolate (although maybe I can find a way to sneak some in).
So as you may have guessed, I've been in a chocolate fix lately and when I was searching for chocolate loaf recipes, I stumbled upon this.

Double Chocolate Banana Loaf [source]
-1/2 cup softened butter
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 tsp instant coffee
-2 eggs
-1 tbsp orange zest
-1+1/4 cup all purpose flour (white or whole wheat)
-1/2 cup cocoa
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 cup mashed banana
-1 cup chocolate chips
*optional, 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Beat the brown sugar, butter, and instant coffee together with a hand held mixer.
Then add the orange zest and mix in. Then add in the smashed banana and the eggs.
Put all of your dry ingredients into a separate bowl and stir or whisk together.
Combine the wet mixture and the dry mixture together and beat with a hand mixer until they are incorporated. Then add the chocolate chips and pecans (I didn't use any pecans because of my grandma's allergies), and then pour the mixture into a well greased glass or metal loaf pan.
Bake at 325 degrees for 45-60 minutes depending on how hot your oven is. When you can stick a long toothpick into the middle and it comes out clean, then it is done. If there is batter on the toothpick, put the loaf in for another 10 minutes.
Very moist and super chocolatey. I soooo wanted to eat this for breakfast...but I just couldn't. This was really like a dense chocolate cake in disguise.
Honestly, if I hadn't made this loaf myself and knew exactly what I put into it, I wouldn't have known there was any orange zest. So if you're not interested in orange zest, don't have any oranges, or are too tired to zest an orange, just skip it. : )
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment