Friday, December 23, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Treats, Day 10: Double Layer "Easy Fudge"

So a few weeks ago while I was still studying for my exams, I read this post from How Sweet It Is, an amazing blog filled with lots of sweet recipes. At the time I was unable to make this recipe due to my schedule, but I vowed that someday I would make it. So today I did just that. 
Truthfully, the whole process took a lot longer than I expected and was actually a little more complicated than I thought. The process of making the two layers and the hardening in between, along with my first experience toasting coconut, made this recipe more than just a simple pan of fudgy chocolate whipped up in just of few minutes. It was a labour of love.

Double Layer "Easy Fudge" with Coconut and Coffee [source]
-2 cups dark chocolate chips
-2 cups white chocolate chips
-1 can of sweetened condensed milk
-1+1/2 tbs instant coffee
-2 tsp vanilla extract (the white "coconut"layer calls for coconut extract, but I didn't have any)
-1 tbs coconut oil
-1/2 cup flaked coconut

Heat a frying pan on medium high and slowly toast the coconut, stirring with a wooden spoon.
Melt the chocolate and add half the can of sweetened condensed milk, the instant coffee, 1/2 tbs of coconut oil, and 1 tsp of vanilla.
The mixture will get very thick. Then spread it evenly into a pan and pop it into the freezer for 30 minutes.
Now do the same for the white layer. The white chocolate chips can sometimes be hard to find. I had to buy these at the bulk food store. 
First melt the chocolate, then stir in the rest of the sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 tbs of coconut oil, and 1 tsp of vanilla extract (use coconut extract if you have any).
Now evenly coat the top of the white chocolate with the toasted coconut, then put the pan into the fridge to harden for 30 minutes. Remember that when you bring the pan out of the freezer to put on the white layer, let the dark chocolate warm up a bit so that there is no condensation. I didn't know that, so in some places my two layers didn't stay stuck together.
Then cut and serve. Please note, the piece I cut was WAY too big. This fudge is really sweet and chocolatey, so in the end I cut the fudge into pieces 1/4 of the size of the square above.
This fudge is really good and is the perfect thing to eat when you are too full to eat a lot of sweets because just one piece will satisfy your sweet tooth. I can see myself making different versions of this fudge in the future using a combination of chocolate chips and peanut butter chips, and adding things in like chopped nuts. Now that I know that sweetened condensed milk added to chocolate can result in a fudge like texture, the possibilities are endless!
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I'll take three pans please. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that your 12 days of Christmas treats are done I'm gonna say these look/sound the tastiest!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete