Monday, December 19, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Treats, Day 6: Classic Shortbread Cookies

I think all of this sugar has finally started to affect me. When I looked up this recipe in my mother's recipe box, it was so simple it made me cry actual tears. I'm not sure why.
Anyways, I find that the beauty in these cookies is not the simplicity of the recipe or how easy and fast they are to make, but the classic taste of shortbread cookies that only appear during the holidays. Every time I bite into one of these cookies and I feel the shortbread literally melt in my mouth, I'm taken back to years of staying up late watching Christmas videos on VHS and eating left over goodies from the family gathering earlier that evening (don't tell Santa I ate all his cookies).

Shortbread Cookies
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
1+1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

The instructions for this recipe are so simple. Cream the butter in a bowl with a hand mixer, put all the dry ingredients into a sieve and sift them into the same bowl, then add the vanilla, then cream again. Roll the dough into balls and pat them down on the pan, then squish a chocolate wafer into the centre of each dough ball. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
*Be sure to use a silver cookie sheet, not a dark cookie sheet.
These cookies are not very sweet, but they do melt in your mouth, and that extra little piece of chocolate in the middle just adds a hint of bitter sweetness. You're also welcome to cut a maraschino cherry in half and put that on top. I don't usually because my family really just likes the chocolate ones.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Dear VIWAC, your mother very thoughtfully has shared your blog with me and I must say not only am I very impressed with your choice of recipies but your descriptions and photos are outstanding. I am now starving for all of these yummy treats and all I have in my desk to snack on is a bag of cheerios and they will definately not cut it! Outstanding, enjoyable and salivating blog. Can't wait for tomorrow's recipie!!! Yours truly, Not a VIMWAC, never will be a VIM but alway am WAC

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummo! I like this 12 days of christmas recipe posting you are doing. Its fun to see what you've been posting. I added this post to my pinterest so I can try it later when I have more time. I love cookies :)

    ReplyDelete