Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Asparagus Spears, and my 100th Post!

Woohoo! Today I am posting my 100th post on this blog. Who knew I would have made it this far after starting VIMWAC just this summer?
So to make this post special, I'm sharing one of my favourite recipes. It's an appetizer (of course) and I learnt it a few years ago when my grandmother and I went to a cooking class for beginners. Hot, crunchy, buttery, cheesy, and clearly very easy to make since it was taught to me in a beginner's class, these asparagus spears are one of my family's favourite to eat as part of our appetizers.

Asparagus Spears
-3 sheet of Phyllo pastry (make sure you thaw them in the fridge overnight)
-1/4 cup melted butter
-1 bunch of asparagus (24 spears)
-1/2 cup grated parmesan or asiago cheese

Take out the phyllo pastry and sheets and lay them in between two moist towels. This is to keep the sheets moist and to prevent them from drying up and breaking when you try to roll them later on. Wash your asparagus, snap off the stalk part at the bottom, blanch them in boiling water for 3 minutes, plunge them into cold water to stop the cooking, then let them dry. Melt the butter in a small dish.
Using a cooking brush, brush one phyllo sheet with butter. Cut the sheet into either six or eight squares, depending on the length of your asparagus. In the bottom half of each square, lay out some grated cheese. Then put an asparagus spear at the very bottom of the square and roll it. Be sure to leave the asparagus head peeking out at the top. Repeat until you run out of asparagus.
Line a baking sheet with tin foil and lay out the asparagus spears. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes, stopping halfway to turn them over. Let them cool for a few minutes before serving.

See how easy these are!? And they are really, really delicious. Plus, they can be made up to 8 hours in advance, so they're a great thing to make the morning of the party. : )

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I'm from turkey and Moroccan cigars are a regular in Turkish diet. I bet you if you actually make these like Moroccan cigars by covering the entire asparagus with filo dough and putting cheese, ricotta, or whatever you'd like in the filo dough , they'd taste even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! Will have to try this one day, but I'd personally add feta cheese~
    Congrats on 100 posts!
    x maggie
    saltandleather.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi VIMWAC
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    100 posts is pretty amazing. If this is your first blog then you have done a great job to get to so many posts so fast. Love the new recipe page.
    Phyllo is so intimidating to work, I was nervous to try it, with this recipe makes it look pretty ease. I will give it a try.
    Best wishes for the next 100 posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These would make for some great appetizers for a cocktail party. Easily these can be made vegan with non-dairy cheese and Earth Balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another simple-to-make yummy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete