Friday, March 30, 2012

Coconut Macaroon Easter Egg Nests

Ahhhhh, it's nice to be baking again. Last week so many papers were due, and yesterday I had to write an exam, so I haven't been able to spend much time in the kitchen. But now that my exam is in the past, I finally feel like I have time to experiment with making tasty treats. The other day I saw this post at Two Peas and Their Pod, and decided that it was the perfect thing to try with Easter taking place in just a week.
To make the birds nest, I used the Gluten Free Chocolate Bottomed Coconut Macaroon recipe because it was so quick and easy to make.

Chocolate Bottomed Coconut Macaroons (Gluten Free) 
-2 large eggs
-1/2 cup white sugar
-1/8 tsp salt
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-3 cups sweetened shredded coconut



Put the eggs into a large bowl and whisk them well. Then add in the sugar, salt, and vanilla, and whisk them together well. Then you stir in all of your coconut.
Unlike in the original recipe that makes the macaroons with 1 tablespoon of batter, scoop out 2 tablespoons worth of batter for each cookie, put them onto a lined cookie sheet, and then use your thumb to make a dip in the centre. Be sure to leave some space between each cookie because the bottoms will spread a little. Then bake them in your oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the tops become brown. 

Take them out and let them cool for a few minutes on a cooling rack.
For the chocolate filling I used Nutella mixed with a little almond milk (you could also use regular milk). For eight cookies I needed 1 large spoonful of Nutella and 1 tsp of almond milk.
Then pop some candy coated chocolate eggs on top and voila, you now have a bunch of mini birds nests to serve at Easter.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This is a very cute dessert to please kids and adults!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these turned out perfect! love the one kinda cracked egg :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great! I wish I had seen this sooner! I will save it for a future Easter (or just because I NEED to try this recipe!)

    ReplyDelete