Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Simple Blueberry Pancakes

Hey everyone! It's been a lot of fun these past few weeks visiting my old hangouts that I missed while I was away, and trying some new places that were suggested to me while I was gone. But this past Sunday morning, I was in the mood for some simple home style cooking. It's been a beautiful summer so far and everywhere I look there are even more beautiful fruits just waiting to be washed and eaten. So instead of making chocolate chip pancakes (even though they are just oh-so-good) I decided to make use of the fresh blueberries I had in the fridge and made blueberry pancakes.
When I was a child I used to use the pre-made pancake powder from a box. Boy, have times changed since discovering this easy recipe in my mother's old high school cookbook.

Griddle Cakes (Pancakes)
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1 cup milk (normally I'd use almond milk, but I ran out)
-1 egg
-2 tbsp melted butter
-2 tbsp sugar
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
*blueberries and chocolate chips are optional

First, wash and dry the blueberries so that they won't be wet when you add them to the batter. Whisk all the dry ingredients together. Then mix all the wet ingredients together. Then add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and use a hand mixer to combine well.
Once the batter has been made, pour about 1/4 cup of the mixture onto a hot, greased frying pan, and then scatter a handful of blueberries on top. When small bubbles start to form in the batter, carefully flip the pancake over, and fry until golden brown. Then serve with extra blueberries on top and either syrup or agave nectar.
The ingredients.
The batter. I prefer to put my batter into a liquid measuring cup like this because it makes it easier to pour into the frying pan.
And that's it. These pancakes were so good and a really nice change from my regular chocolate chip pancakes. Perhaps next time I should make apple cinnamon pancakes? : )
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Excellent these pancakes and great idea to pair them with blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I adore blueberry pancakes! :)

    ReplyDelete